2.13.2013

Gossip Girl S 2 Ep 8: The SSL Review



I will not apologize for my new found love of Gossip Girl. We're just on season 2 so far, but I have to say, it's pretty fun, and I particularly enjoy my new in-mind narration while observing others that always begins with the word "spotted" and ends it with the phrase' "you know you love me, xoxo, Gossip Girl."

Anyway, it just so happened that there was a passing nod to masturbation, and female masturbation at that. Obviously, this being a network show aimed kinda at teens, there isn't much room for depictions or discussions of orgasms or masturbation. This was the first thing I've seen that was worthy of an SSL review, and of course I had to do my duty.

It involved the most snotty and evilish female character on the show, Blair. (I'd like to take this moment to point out that she is one of my favorite characters, and although she's kind of a horrible person, I think she's much more human and interesting than the Serina character whose supposed to be the cool one. I can't stand her horrible mouth acting and terrible character development. Also, I love me some Chuck Bass. I just wanted to declare that publicly.) Anyway, the episode begins with a sexy fantasy and the narrator telling us sometimes a girl has to take matters into her own hands. We find Blair in bed being interrupted by her Russian? nanny/maid telling her is time to get up and come down for breakfast, but ol' Blair says she just has to "finish something" first. As she's leaving,  the nanny says something like, "God is always watching Miss Blair." To my happy surprise, Blair doesn't seemed phased, she just smiles and throws herself back onto her pillows with a dreamy sigh.

Granted, Blair is not the "likable" character, but she is a proper feminine character with a type of traditional values. So, in my estimation, this was not a shameful, weird, unsexy or deviant depiction of female masturbation. At its worse, considering the underlying story line, masturbation is kinda depicted as a last resort, when real couple action can't be gotten, but at least she seemed happy while she was choosing that last resort. For a mainstream teen drama, I say this is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment